Having traveled through this amazing country for 3 months, I just know I am getting myself in trouble by doing a bucket list for Romania, there’s simply way too much to do!
Romania is an excellent country for outdoor sports, wildlife spotting and hiking. Its cities are diverse: rural towns like Sinaia and Busteni are great for visiting the castles and enjoying mountain views, while Brasov, Sighisoara and Sibiu have that medieval vibe going. Bucharest is great for people who love modern art, a mix of traditional and communistic buildings and great parks to wander through.
And then there’s the countryside, unspoiled nature and ancient traditions that are sometimes just a train ride away. I could easily bore you to death with everything there is to do, yet I’m keeping my list down to 30.
My bucket list for Romania
1. Stand on Bucegi mountain, next to the cross
2. See the sfinx
3. Visit the Rasnov citadel and stand on top for amazing views
4. Explore romantic Sibiu
5. Sleep at the Sambata de Sus monastery
Fall weather in Borsec
6. Drive the Transfagarasan (and spend the night there if you can)
7. See the giant Vidraru dam (Transfagarasan)
8. Visit the Zarnesti bear sanctuary
9. See the Hunedoara castle
10. Indulge in the vibrant student life of Cluj Napoca
Enjoying Sfanta Ana in autumn glory.
11. Party in Gradina Eden, Bucharest
12. Descend into the Turda saltmine, one of the new world wonders.
13. Hike Tampa hill (Brasov)
14. Take the train from Bucharest to Brasov for amazing views!
15. Have a barbeque at Tampa Gardens (Brasov)
Hike up for amazing views from Tampa hill
16. See the merry cemetery
17. Visit Peles castle, Sinaia
18. Drive the Transalpina
19. See the statue of Decebal
20. Visit Poenari castle (the real castle of Dracula)
Wander historic Sighsisoara
21. Walk the cobbled streets of Sighisoara
22. Get your healthy water at Borsec (and explore the bear cave while you’re at it!)
23. Go bird spotting at the Delta
24. Explore medieval Deva
25. Gaze over the lake of Saint Ann (or Sfanta Ana)
View over the Transfagarasan road.
26. Visit Bran castle (or Dracula’s castle)
27. Go for a dip in the Black Sea at Constanta or Mamaia
28 Visit the Fagaras fortress
29. Wander through the immense palace of Ceaucescu
30. Don’t forget about cute, tiny towns like Medias and Biertan